Monday, June 29, 2020

Dr Sangeetha Madhu - Seven life lessons ,climbing Mt Everest base camp

Seven Life Lessons, Climbing Mt Everest Base Camp

“You create your own universe as you go along.” -Winston Churchill

1) You can prepare/ plan but never predict
        As part of my preparation to climb Mt Everest base camp, I underwent several months of strength training & cardio exercises. However, on the way from Namche bazaar, I exhibited signs of altitude sickness, which altered my speed, agility, and overall fitness levels. Often we are faced with uncertainty & ambiguity in life; things do not turn out the way we plan, taking a leap of faith brings a ray of hope. On the brighter side, I was overwhelmed with my team's kind gestures - adversity brings out altruism in people; I reached Tengboche, my next stop with support from several of my fellow trekkers who offered medicine, water, and encouragement.

2) Set short term goals, your vision will get accomplished 

        In the beginning, the journey seemed impossible. However, from Lukla, Phakding, Namche, Tengboche, Labuche to Gorekshep were a series of smaller goals to the ultimate destination of EBC. There were several times during the journey that I wanted to give up .' Go slow to reach fast 'was the mantra of my guide. As I interacted with a 73 old Japanese trekker, I felt motivated - 'Never ever, ever, ever, ever give up ' said Winston Churchill. Focus on the moments and days will take care of itself.

3) Digital Detox

        One has the option to purchase wifi on several occasions during the trek, I chose not to have the compulsive need to check emails, WhatsApp messages, twitter, or Instagram accounts. A fortnight of being digitally disconnected incidentally brought a whole new connection to me. Taking a vacation from your digital devices and trekking in the mountain along with trees & rivers is a great way to inspire the mind and nourish the soul.

4) The journey is the destination 

         Reaching Everest base camp ( 5365 m) after 7 days of incessant walking through rough terrain, unpredictable weather, low oxygen levels, long hours, led to mixed feelings. On reaching EBC, you realize that the journey is the destination. In our daily lives of' busyness ', we often forget to smell the roses, listen to the birds, and experience the stillness or silence within. The balance between consistent effort & being present in the element is the key to sustained energy and enthusiasm to find your unique path. Enjoy the journey, it matters.

5) Learn when to let go 

        At the end of reaching EBC, I was exhausted and sapped of all energy. EBC trek helped me recognize the myth that I had regarding my fitness levels. I found it difficult to descend and it was time to let go. Learning a lesson in humility, I chose the option of flying from EBC to Lukla to save my aching knees. Its imperative in life to develop a sense of detachment and know when to let go.

6) Gratitude, Solitude & Connection

        I trekked slowly, finding my own pace, introspecting & spending solitary time. I felt a sense of gratitude for the abundance that mother nature has bestowed upon us - clean air, freshwater, & bright sunshine while reflecting on life, peace & tranquility. Time to time interactions with trekkers from across the world, Toronto to Sydney also built a sense of belongingness & connection to a larger purpose.

7) We need Mentors 

          My trekking guides Sures, Sudeep & Salli Bhai from Kathmandu www.mountainworldtreks.com, were thorough professionals in motivating & guiding me through the journey. They were my mentors and instrumental in helping me learn new skills, challenge myself, set stretch goals, scale greater heights, and new horizon. Seeking guidance from mentors in a safe and trusting environment, will help us thrive and navigate our chaotic world to lead meaningful lives.

No comments: